Helping Other People Excel
The scholarships is awarded to students with a high level of academic achievement, exhibit high levels of determination and drive, possess strong leadership skills, and are actively involved in the community.
The LODLF H.O.P.E Scholarship may award one scholarship each semester up to $3,000. If there are insufficient applications, or the applications received do not meet the conditions of eligibility an award will not be made for that specified period.
Conditions of Eligibility
Applicants must meet the following criteria in order to be eligible for the LODLF H.O.P.E Scholarship:
- Be a graduating senior
- Must be a resident of the State of New Mexico or Arizona
- Cumulative, weighted Grade Point Average of at least 3.5 on a 4.0 scale.
- A minimum score of a 25 on the ACT or 1250 on the SAT.
- Attend or be accepted to attend, a public two or four-year college/university full-time, a private university, or an accredited vocational/technical school
- Must have participated in a minimum of 30 hours of community service in the last year.
- Agree to allow your name and photograph to be released for publication; permit review of this application and enclosed school transcripts by anyone representing the scholarship committee:
Members of the Board of Directors will review all applicant materials. Applicants will be ranked by Grade Point Average, amount and nature of community service, strength of letters of recommendation, course of study, and essay quality. The highest ranked applicant(s) will be determined and Interviews will be conducted prior to award being issued.
Only scholarship recipient(s) will be notified of their award. Notification to the recipient(s) will be made in August and January. Payment of scholarship amount will be made directly to the institution.
We may publish, certain general information including the winner’s name, educational background, community service and future educational plans.
Applicant must not be considered ‘family’ to a member of the board; family is defined as: include an individual’s spouse, ancestors, children, grandchildren, great grandchildren and the spouses of children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren. IRC 4946(d). The spouses of an individual’s lineal descendants are also considered family. 26 C.F.R. § 53.4946-1(h). Further, the legally adopted child of an individual is the child of that individual. 26 C.F.R. § 53.4946-1(h).
The scholarship may only be used for tuition, fees, books, and room and board. Payments from the LODLF H.O.P.E Scholarship may be received to supplement benefits from the educational institution, or from other foundations, institutions, or organizations.
Preparation of Materials
- Type or print using blue or black ink. Write legibly.
- Send the application form and all supporting documentation (official transcript, letters of reference, etc.) together in one envelope.
- Do not include descriptions of activities, work experience and/or awards not asked for in the application.
- Contact the Board of Directors at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- Student Information: Provide your permanent address as indicated on the form. Also provide your home phone number and school phone number, email address, date of birth, gender and country of permanent residence. You must complete all of this information. Applications with any information missing will be considered ineligible.
- School Information: Provide the name, address, phone number and expected graduation date for the school or college you are currently attending. If you will be attending a different school in the following academic year, indicate that school’s name, address, phone number and expected graduation date. You must complete all of this information.
- Grade Point Average (GPA): You must provide your current, cumulative unweighted GPA on a 4.0 scale. You must also include an official transcript. If you have attended your current school for less than one year, include a transcript from your previous school as well. Do not have the transcript(s) sent to LODLF separately; the transcript(s) must be included with your application.
- Extracurricular Activities: List all extracurricular actives you have participated in during the last year. Indicate the dates you participated in each activity. Do not include community service activities in this section.
- Community Service Information: You must provide details regarding your community service for each organization you served in the past 12 months. For each separate organization you must provide: the name of the organization, your supervisor at the organization, contact information for your supervisor, total number of hours served, when you participated in the community service, and a description of service. You must also provide your total hours of community service across all of the organizations you served. You must have conducted at least 30 hours of community service. Verification of service will be established prior to issuance of the scholarship.
- Essay: Type a 1-2 page, double-spaced essay describing your “Personal Story” on the following:
- Describe your Determination, Ambition, & Drive
- Describe your active community involvement and rationale for selecting the organization.
- Describe how you have overcome adversity in your life.
- Describe your proudest accomplishments.
The essay should be attached to the application form. This is the only guidance for writing the essay.
- Letters of Recommendation: Provide three (3) letters of recommendation: one Personal Reference, one Academic Reference, and one Community Service Reference. The writer of each letter must also complete a Recommendation Form (provided in the application.) It may be useful to explain the scholarship to the writer of your letter so that he/she may tailor it to the qualities important to this scholarship. Submit the letters with your other scholarship materials. Do not mail the letters of recommendation separately from your application packet. The Board of Directors may contact the writers of letters of recommendation with further questions.
Applications must be received by June 15th and December 15th.